Our Environmental, Safety & Health team is pleased to share with you the latest edition of our monthly newsletter, frESH Law Horizons: Key Developments in UK & EU Environment, Safety and Health Law and Procedure; providing bite-size updates on EU and UK law, procedure and policy.
The updates covered in this month’s edition include (among others):
- The government has published its COVID-19 summer 2021 road map for England, and updated step 4 working safely guidance.
- Company is fined £910,000 after a self-employed lorry driver is killed while making a delivery.
- Cinema chain is fined £750,000 after a man is killed by a reclining seat.
- The UK and the EU have agreed to extend the Northern Ireland Protocol grace period for chilled meat products to 30 September 2021.
- Court of Appeal held litigation privilege is still maintained even if a third party had misled as to the purpose of their information request.
- Manufacturing company is fined (including under REACH) after workers are exposed to asbestos.
- Waste and recycling sector commits to tackling modern slavery.
- Health & Safety Executive announces an increase in worker deaths on the day the English football team competed in the semi-final of the Euros.
- The Food Standards Agency publishes its revised Food Law Code of Practice.
- DEFRA and Natural England launch the biodiversity metric.
- Draft UK REACH amendment regulations have been issued and the HSE has also announced the opening of Lead Registrant functionality in UK REACH.
- Amendments made to the UK law on waste shipments.
- BEIS consults on strengthening the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme.
- Record £90 million fine for Southern Water following an EA prosecution.
- Environment Agency Waste quality protocols review.
- UK government publishes the Transport Decarbonisation Plan, consults on ending the sale of new non-zero emission HGVs, and issues a Green Paper on a new road vehicle CO2 emissions regulatory framework.
- New guidance is issued on best available techniques for carbon capture.
- Government consults on the technical details of plastic packaging tax.
- DEFRA is consulting on the establishment of an “environmental review”.
- Biffa Waste Services Ltd has been fined £1.5 million for illegal waste exports.
- Royal Dutch Shell plc has confirmed that it will appeal the Dutch carbon emission ruling.
- European Commission proposes a landmark “Fit for 55” package of climate and energy legislation.
- European countries announce their intention to restrict PFAS.
- New waste gas BREF for the chemical sector.
- European Commission proposes a new General Product Safety Regulation.
For more detailed information on these developments, download a copy from our website. You can also subscribe to ensure that you receive our most recent edition each month.